Test your new-media trivia skills! Compete with friends and colleagues! The answers will be posted here after the summer holidays.
1. What is Facebook?
1. A “community.”
X. A “social medium.”
2. A “platform.”
2. How much would Chris Anderson charge to give a talk on free as the new business model for the new media?
1. Nothing. (”Free”, duh.)
X. $1,000 or so, plus expenses.
2. More than $10,000.
3. When was the first commercial edited online news service launched?
1. Between 1985 and 1989.
X. Between 1990 and 1994.
2. Between 1995 and 1999.
Bonus question 3.1: What was the news service called?
4. Do you think Billy Mitchell’s 1,047,200 score tape was legitimate?
X. Doesn’t matter, he’s still a douchebag.
2. Who is Billy Mitchell?
5. How many different file formats can you name for digital video?
1. None, really.
X. One or two.
2. Three or more.
6. Match the faces of new-media luminaries (A-F) to corresponding buzzwords (I-VI).
Bonus question 6.1. Sort the faces into old hype and new hype.
Bonus question 6.2. Put names on the faces.